Monday, September 21, 2009

Autumn at the Gate

So, the Autumn Equinox will arrive within the day. No wonder I was feeling spooky on Sunday afternoon as I wandered, coffee in hand, through the garden centre. I thought maybe it was the slightly Klezmer-sounding flute music they were playing that got me to thinking about Tom Waits and that play I so love, Black Rider.

Or maybe it was the stone water features all burbling away in the lean golden light of late afternoon, their leafy patterns, stone lions and carved acorns looking more pagan than suburban.

Maybe it was the ragged remains of the last trees for sale, listing against each other.

Either way, I needed to temper the cheer of my front step flowers with something a little darker.

So I got this little fellow.

He added just the touch I was looking for. To me he spoke of rustling leaves soon to dance and blow and the far off stirrings of the snow queen.

I added this swirl of pheasant feather (not real) for an extra bit of texture.

Ah, now I am ready to meet Autumn at the gate.

8 comments:

sweetbay said...

Very nice! I love this time of year. (And all things Halloween too.)

sweetbay said...

PS You put thoughts into words so beautifully...

tlchang said...

Great fall flora! I've decided that nothing says Halloween to me more than purple and yellows/oranges together... Go figure..

I finally responded to your Christmas/card query in the comment section on my blog btw...

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

I love the pheasant feathers...what a creative touch! I have some ravens, too - I put them out every October and I always look forward to them so much :)

OF SPRING AND SUMMER said...

Wonderful autumn colours! A favorite time of year for me. Have a good weekend! Ingrid

Ruthie Redden said...

i always feel a little sad each year as i wander into the garden and see the fading of summer lovelies, but then i spy autumn colours and look forward with excitement to autumn things

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

sweetbay: You are very kind! :)

TLC: Purple and orange are speak spooky to me this year!

Victoria: Thank you for stopping by! This is the first year I have seen these little ravens. I love them and may get more.

Ingrid: Thank you! I hope you are enjoying your autumn.

ruthie: There are such mixed feelings this time of year. I think the glorious colours are there to remind us of the vibracy of life and the promise of renewal :)

Calgary Garden Coach said...

Beautiful photos! It's a bittersweet time of year, isn't it?
Janice