Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Juno, Juno, welcome!


How can it be June! These days are supposed to meander along, not do cartwheels down the hill with pigtails flying! Given that I haven’t had time to do a proper post and most of the photos I have taken over the last couple of weeks are already out of date, I thought I would just post a few of the highlights.


I have been super busy (started a new job I love!), have been out in the garden battling my four nemeses (nemisi?): goutweed (neighbour’s contribution to the ‘hood), lily of the valley (I thought it was gone last year!), ants (how did they find us so fast?), and the caragana runners I had hoped we put the boot to last year (from the ancient hedge we had ground out).


I have also been resigning myself to the losses from our crazy winter while at the same time hoping against hope. Well, my hope was warranted as there are many more survivors than first thought. Both my hydrangeas are alive and only one of my three Russian sage appears to be dead, only one fern is showing no life (well, of only two) and a Vinca ‘Alba’ has turned out to be purple.

[northern maidenhair fern - the cutest, tiniest fiddlehead ever]

My tender hybrid rose, ‘Sterling Silver’ bit the dust and the first bulbs of my life that I planted are mostly all up!

The spiral Dwarf Alberta Spruce ended up getting quite brown by the end of winter but seems to be coming back. All three of my new raspberry canes made it and my rhubarb (that got moved, potted and moved) is coming back great.

[not my rhubarb - a neighbour's]

Powdery mildew has arrived already but I can’t complain because it arrived in the wake of a lot of rain (and, yes, a little snow!) for which I am truly grateful.

[wet crabapple blossoms still smelling so sweet]

There are new squirrels, new rabbits and lots of robins. The sparrows can’t stop singing and I am waking up at 4:00 a.m. to the sound of birds – and I don’t mind! I went to the Saskatchewan border yesterday and saw loads of hawks on the trip.

[Are these Morels?]

I have been getting out for early morning weekend walks through the back alleys and down into the ravine.

[adorable unknown clematis spilling into lane behind a garage - can anyone ID it?]

The scent of all the flowering trees and shrubs has cast a heady spell on me and I join the bees in burying my nose in the boughs that overhang the fences.

Life is good, I want to blog more, but can’t right now and will be out of town for the next few days as well (it does involve visiting a winery so not all bad). Have been popping in on your blogs as much as possible and am thrilled to see how lush your gardens are growing. Enjoy each of these glorious days!

22 comments:

Clayton said...

Wonderful pictures. The white Clem might be White Swan as mine is blooming right now and it looks very similar. Spring is very exciting but also can be diheartening. I have at least three or four very old (7-8 years) Clematis without a sign of life. Also an older row of lilies is very slow to get started. There was a lot of disease in another group and I dug them all up and washed with a bleach solution (about 5%) and put in pots. They are slowly all showing up.

Laurrie said...

You've immersed me in your garden's awakening, with all the returning surprises and the few no-shows. It's so rewarding at this time of year to walk around and take inventory and welcome things back! Have a good trip, there will be more surprises and rewards for you in your garden when you get back.

Victoria said...

I always enjoy reading your posts..always full of nature's adventure!Enjoy your time away! see ya soon!
Happy Gradening!
Kiki~

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Great post, it's always exciting to take in the spring inventory. Some surprises, some disappointements, but your garden is looking wonderful. Good luck wiht your nemesii!

Laura said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing them! I always give a buffer zone with plants that I may have lost in winter. I always feel the 'what if they are just late growing this year!?' blues.

sweetbay said...

Lovely photos! I know what you mean about spring going so fast and having little time to blog. We'll still be here when you get back!

Ruthie Redden said...

What a wonderful post, i feel inspired. My new wee garden awaits, as it is so new & bare i am feeling slightly overwhelmed. Beautiful photos too x

miss m said...

Congrats on the new job ! Hope you finally conquer your nemeses. Have a great time out of town and enjoy your time away from the blog. We'll still be here when you get back. ;)

Fabulous post and pics !

Northern Shade said...

Some plants are very slow at awakening this year. My Hydrangea have barely broken bud, too. Perhaps they are smart, though, and anticipate the late May snow, better to save the flower buds for warmer days. I'm surprised that so many plants seem to shrug off the late cold temperatures, and continue growing and flowering. I love the fiddlehead. They are fascinating to watch as they unroll.

Congratulations on the new job.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job. I think many of us are feeling behind in blog reading and posting. This is the time of year when we want to be in the garden as much as possible.

Lovely photos!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Clayton: I think you got it! I googled the White Swan and they look identical to this. What a sweet clematis and obviously very hardy. I hope you see your plants all make it through. I just got back and two more plants are stirring – yay!

Laurrie: It is a wonderful time of awakening in the garden. There is something happening everyday. I am especially pleased about my hydrangeas and I have a soft spot for them and would really miss them.

Kiki: Thank you! I’m glad you can sense my joy in my adventure. This is a fun time!

Rebecca: It is so exciting – especially when the losses aren’t as bad as you initially feared. Ps. I am determined to conquer my nemisi. :)

Laura: Hi! I think you are right about the buffer zone. Two more plants have made an appearance since I left and although they are later than expected, they are certainly most welcome. I’m hanging in for a few more!

Sweet bay: This is such a busy time – and thrilling! It is nice to be home, though. I missed my garden.

Ruthie: Hi! How exciting that you are starting a brand new garden. With your artistic sense of colour and form, it will be no time at all before your garden is magical.

Miss m: Thank you! I missed you all and missed my garden. Good to be home!

Northern Shade: My hydrangeas just showed life before I left – what a relief. Aren’t those tiny fiddleheads a natural wonder?

Grace: If I wake up during the night I have to peek out the window – I must actually have spring fever. :)

OF SPRING AND SUMMER said...

June - one of my favorite months!! Well done to the new job!!
We should all enjoy our gardens at this time of year!
Have a good time.
Ingrid xx

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Ingrid, I am enjoying every minute, even the ones with the goutweed. :-)

Amy said...

I love to look at your photos!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Amy, you are too kind! (I'm glad you enjoy them tho') :)

Victoria said...

Gorgeous post! how sweet the birds are sining their hearts out! yay! I love maidenhair too..so cool! Lovely post!
Enjoy your time away!
Kiki~

Andrea said...

Hi, your photos are so beautiful, especially that 2nd one, the buttons. I will have to try it myself but first have to look for buttons like that. I already have an idea. I am from the tropics so we have different vegetation and set of plants. BTW, that profile photo is really very intriguing! thanks.

Diane Schuller said...

I'm not sure which I enjoy more: your writing or your photographs. Both are so beautifully done.

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Diane, a compliment from you means so much - I blush! You are THE photographer! :) I am just having fun trying to express my love of the garden and of nature. Thanks for stopping by. :)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Ms S !!
Your pictures are beautiful no matter when you have taken them .. I have the same problem too .. loads of pictures a bit back dated .. and the biggest problem is I have been MIA as to visiting blogs .. trying to catch up but I keep falling behind (mix the job of painting the kitchen ? .. just bought the paint yesterday, holy crap ! good paint is expensive !!! haha) .. YES this Spring here was unbelieveable .. way too hot way too soon and the plants JUMPED forward way too FAST !
Congrats on the new job and visiting the winery : ) now that is aplus isn't it ? I love seeing Elliemay and Bob ! They are very dignified for their photos : ) LOL
Joy

RURAL said...

Love your photos also, they look in the absolute best way, very moody.

I love it when the Google Reader shows me new posts from you also.

Oh but the pressure LOL!

Jen

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Joy: This is such a crazy time of year for gardeners, decorators, renovators and all the above combined! Good luck with your kitchen painting. :-)

Jen: Thanks, Jen! Hope you are enjoying this crazy, busy season! :)